Friday, January 13, 2012

MLB Black Out Policy

Dear MLB,

I just wanted to voice my frustration/disappointment/outrage/general bewilderment concerning the incredibly outdated and shortsighted blackout policy of MLB. In this age of portable media devices such as the iPhone and iPad, I find it very hard to believe that I am unable to watch MY TEAM’S games when I am away from my home because MLB won't let me. I’m not asking for this to be free. I’m willing to pay whatever MLB sees fit to charge for MLB.tv so that I can watch the Rangers when I’m not at home via my iPad or iPhone. But current blackout restrictions makes that impossible. I’m NOT going to pay hundreds of dollars if I can’t even watch MY team.

Not to mention that I live FOUR HOURS away from Arlington. My local cable provider doesn’t carry all of the Rangers games (we’re closer to Houston, which would be great if I were an Astros fan…BUT I’M NOT). I’m out of luck if I want to watch Rangers games via my Apple TV, because AGAIN, I cant PAY to watch Rangers games via MLB.tv because the ENTIRE STATE OF TEXAS is in the Rangers blackout area. Do you understand how BIG the state of Texas is?

Does MLB understand that the fan base of this sport that we love so dearly is shrinking dramatically? It appears that in spite of the shrinking fan base, MLB is doing whatever it can to prevent as many viewers as possible from accessing their product, when ever and where ever, possible. You would think that MLB would be doing whatever it could to take advantage of today's technology to get their product in front of as many fans that want it. However that doesn't seem to be the case.

All I'm saying is, if MLB wants to continue to lose fans by the droves keep up with the antiquated practices that y’all have going on. Perhaps MLB might want to join the rest of us in this new century. I just hope and pray that when yall do decide to join the rest of us in this rapidly changing technological world, that it wont be too late and that the NFL hasn’t forced MLB into irrelevancy.

Sincerely,

A devoted Rangers Fan


- Posted using my iPhone

Location:S Farm to Market Road 2818,College Station,United States

No comments: